Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 4 - Tuesday - Feb 23

Today was even crazier. Did the largest hydrocele I have ever seen, hernia repairs, and more ortho. The last case of the day got a bit crazy but went well. We finished around 7:30 p.m.

Totally exhausted I go to take my shower for the night and was then going back to get everything ready for the next days cases. I get in the shower, Beth is in the shower stall next to mine and all of a sudden, the water starts going crazy. It was like taking a shower under a machine gun. I couldn't help but just stand there and laugh hysterically. Beth thought I was messing with the water and doing it on purpose. It was very funny! After being beat to death by the water, I went back over to finish getting things ready for Wednesday. I must have been delirious because John Lee (surgery resident from California) was there trying to help us and he finally looked at me and told me I needed to go to bed that I was out of my mind. I heeded his advise and left them to finish.

They have a little "canteen" type place on the compound that you can buy sodas and ice cream at. I walked over there to get a soda, of course they only speak spanish so I had no idea how much to pay her. I handed her a dollar and she started to give me change. I said "no" and told her to keep it. She said gracias gracias - I can't imagine how much change she was going to give me back. We pay way over a dollar here for a soda. She was very happy with my dollar.

We noticed we are starting to run low on supplies today.

On a very sad note - a lady was to have a open hysterectomy. After opening her up, they discovered she had cancer and couldn't do anything for her. So sad. I felt so sorry for her family and the docs as they had to deliver the news to them. I wonder what could have been offered to her if she were here in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers