Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1






Saturday, February 20


Got up bright and early to meet Beth. We were on our way to Atlanta at 5 a.m. Arrived at the airport and it was utter chaos. All was well but just chaotic. We get on the plane and are ready for take off when they announce over the PA that two people had not shown up for the flight but their luggage had and it was a requirement for all international flights, that they pull that luggage off the plane. Sooooooo, we sat and waited for them to find the luggage that belong to those two. Then they announce that after retrieving their luggage, they discovered they had too much weight on the plane and were having to leave 22 bags in Atlanta!!!!! So I sat there after that announcement figuring out what I was going to do if my two cases were left in Atlanta. The only personal items I had in there were toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, razor, ect. The rest was medical supplies.


The flight was overall smooth although we landed on the shortest runway I have ever seen in my life. They even announced a "warning" over the PA before we landed that he would be making a "hard turn" and land on a short strip. Once we touched down I believe I punched a hole in the floor with my feet trying to help the plane stop. :)


Dr Stoudemyer was at the airport to pick us up. He was my family doc for probably the last 15 years but I really didn't think he would remember me but he did and greeted me with a hug. Of course, as I had predicted, both of my checked luggage pieces were still in Atlanta. When we went through baggage claim, some Honduran lady took my luggage tickets, looked at my carry on and said "Ok, you go". I said, "no, I do not have all of my luggage" and tried to get the tickets back from her but she wouldn't give them back. I proceeded to "freak out" a little bit but Dr S came over, I explained to him that my luggage was still in Atlanta and that lady won't give me my tickets back. He said he would take care of it so he went over to her and they conversed in spanish. All together, there were 6 pieces of luggage missing from our group. They assured us it would be delivered to us the next day.


After dealing with all of the missing luggage issues, we loaded up on a yellow school bus and Dr S took us to Pizza Hut for a very late lunch. We were all starving. Of course, we only drank bottled water and bottled sodas.


We then headed out for the two hour drive to Guamiaca. Now to try to explain the driving there is impossible. They just floor it and drive in any direction they want. If anyone gets in the way they just lay on the horn and keep going. We drove for two very long hours on very bumpy dirt roads. We passed many horses, donkeys, cows, and chickens wandering around on the side of the road. Some even just stood in the middle of the road and we drove around them. It was interesting to say the least.

The houses that we passed were pitiful. They really weren't houses. They looked more like outhouses. It was so sad. They were just stacked on top of each other. No toilets, no refrigeration. Just a tiny building to sleep in. Laundry on lines everywhere.

Once we arrived at the "compound" we were directed to the girls room which consisted of 14 bunk beds. They handed us a pillowcase which had our sheets in it, two towels, a washcloth, and a pillow. Once we had our beds made, we went outside to check things out. We saw their pet animals..... turkeys, guineas, chickens, roosters, a honey bear, rabbits, and a squirrel or at least it looked like a squirrel. By then it was supper time. After supper we started unpacking supplies and trying to get things organized.

I don't remember when we finally went to bed that first night. I'm sure it was late. We were up late most every night.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers